At my facility last year we started a Change the World project where there is a different altruistic opportunity promoted each month. Below are some of the things we did:
- Knit scarves for the clients at BCS Darcy House or brightly coloured blankets for the children’s hospital.
- Recycle paper and cardboard!
- Host a clothing swap or collect unwanted clothing for a charity shop.
- Grow an indoor plant
- Hold a Christmas toy drive for a local charity or fill shoe boxes with toys for children overseas for Operation Christmas Child.
- Collect used stamps for Global Concern
- Sponsor a child as a facility
- Participate in charity events – e.g. Biggest Morning Tea, World Shave for a cure, red nose day, pink ribbon day etc.
- Write to local MPs about current issues
- Participate in Australia’s Day of Thanksgiving (26th May) by writing thank you notes to other residents and staff.